Dementia Inclusive Cincinnati Initiative
Every 3 seconds, someone in the world develops dementia, and it is estimated the number will almost double every 20 years, reaching 131.5 million in 2050. The number is staggering and how to care for people with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia is a growing concern across cultures around the world.
Founded by Episcopal Retirement Services and launched in 2017, Dementia Inclusive Cincinnati gathered public, private and non-profit organizations with a goal to gain acceptance for people living with the disease, and, by 2025, establish Cincinnati as the most dementia-inclusive city in America. Founding partners include the Alzheimer’s Chapter of Greater Cincinnati, the City of Cincinnati and the UC Health Gardner Neuroscience Institute.
The Dementia Inclusive Cincinnati initiative strives to create safe and welcoming places within our community. With an emphasis on engagement and inclusion, community partners and local businesses are committed to providing programs and opportunities for increased socialization and support for people living with dementia and their care partners. Creating a climate of inclusiveness and understanding is the right thing to do and will undoubtedly benefit the quality of life for all ages.
A dementia inclusive community offers:
- Education for the community to increase awareness and understanding;
- A safe place, free of embarrassment or discrimination, for people with dementia and their caregivers to live with dignity and respect;
- Supportive practices to enrich the lives of people with dementia and their caregivers.
Ways we can all help and be involved with people living with dementia:
- Spend time working to understand dementia;
- Build awareness by sharing what you learn and experience;
- Volunteer to help dementia inclusive initiatives in your community;
- Be willing to interact and embrace the needs of people living with dementia.
Author: Kathleen M. Farfsing, M.Ed., Montessori Dementia Program Director, Xavier University, in partnership with ERS Parish Health Ministry, Dementia Inclusive Cincinnati and Episcopal Church of the Redeemer Health and Wellness Ministry.
Alzheimer's Association February Programs & Services
Dementia Inclusive Cincinnati Initiative at Redeemer